Since the official flower of June is the rose, we thought it would be irresponsible if we didn’t share some fun facts and industry secrets about everyone’s favourite bloom.
- Roses have prickles, not thorns which grow much deeper. Prickles can be easily removed by a rose stripper, paper towel or gardening gloves.
- The oldest living rose grows on the Hildesheim Cathedral in Hildesheim Germany and is over 1000 years old. In 1945 allied bombers destroyed the cathedral but the roots of the plant remained intact and grew strong once again.
- The Overnight Sensation was the first rose to travel space in 2002. It’s also considered one of the world’s most fragrant roses.
- Rose hips (the berry of the rose) contain lots of Vitamin C and is used in many jams and marmalades.
- There are over 100 species of roses in many, many colours. Black is unfortunately not one of them. Black roses are in fact a very deep red hue.
- The world’s most expensive rose is the Juliett, taking 15 years and 5 million dollars to create.
- Place the stem of any drooping rose in boiling water for one minute to pop air bubbles that are preventing your flowers from drinking.
- Roses have guard petals that help protect the inner petals from the elements. Florists will not remove them so as not to damage your bouquet. Gently pluck them (all 5) and your roses will show off their fresh petals underneath.
- Continually pluck off wilting and dead petals. These petals may fall into the water and start to rot which can cause bacteria in the water to multiply and affect the life of your bouquet.
- Cut your flowers on an angle. Cutting your stems straight across will crush them and make it harder for them to drink.
So many reasons to love roses! Search some beautiful gift options here.
3 ways to WIN
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Follow us Instagram
CONTEST HAPPENS EVERY WEDNESDAY
- Every Wednesday we will post a new weekly prize
- Simply like us on Facebook to enter
- Follow us on Twitter and Instagram for more chances to win
- Answer the skill testing question to qualify
- New ways to win every week
- Winners announced on Wednesdays
- Winner selected by a panel of Bloomex employees
- Prizes will include flowers, gift baskets and other goodies
- Winners must provide contact and delivery info to receive their prize
- Resident of Australia
- Must be 18 or older
- Delivery to any valid Australian address
Bloomex is proud to launch a special Cancer Council collection to help raise money for cancer patients and their families.
Cancer Council is the only Australian charity to work across every area of cancer from research and advocacy to prevention and support. They help people from the point of diagnosis through to treatment and survivorship. In 2017, they directed over $60 million in cancer research and answered over 47,000 calls through their 13 11 20 information and support line.
The collection includes three mixed bouquets and a delicious fruit basket perfect for gifting this Mother’s Day. Fifteen percent of product purchase will go directly to Cancer Council to help fund their support, research, prevention and advocacy programs. The collection will be available throughout May to support Cancer Council Australia’s Biggest Morning Tea fundraiser.
Learn how to get involved and host your own tea party here.
In honour of Starlight Day on May 4, 2018, Bloomex Australia has created a special collection to help raise money for seriously ill children and their families.
The collection includes three beautiful bouquets and a delicious gift hamper. Each product was carefully selected to represent the spirit of the Starlight Children’s Foundation and 15 per cent of each purchase goes directly to help fund their amazing programs!
If you’re looking to brighten your home with fresh flowers, or maybe a lovely gift for Mother’s Day, this collection has everything you need.
Starlight’s In-hospital programs including Starlight Express Rooms and Captain Starlight provide children with positive distractions such as games, music and arts and crafts to help break the relentless cycle of pain and trauma. Starlight’s programs are based on the principles of ‘positive psychology’ and improving overall well-being. Bloomex believes in the work that Starlight does and is so proud to be doing our small part to help the cause.
Show your support and shop our Starlight Children’s Foundation Collection here.
Hockey Australia is geared up for another great season and Bloomex Australia is so excited to be a part of it!
As Official Floral Partner, Bloomex Australia will provide special offers to Hockey Australia members as well as fresh flowers and gift hampers to help recognise winners of tournaments as well as those who work tirelessly to help the sport grow.
Hockey Australia is the governing body for the sport, supporting teams regionally through to the national level. Youth programs have been developed to help nurture children’s love of the game through camps and competition. Hockey Australia is there every step of the way, helping athletes develop their game as they work towards conquering their hockey dreams.
There are currently about 100,000 registered players and a total estimated hockey community of about 200,000 fans and supporters. The organisation manages operations coast-to-coast with the national offices located in Perth and Melbourne.
National teams the Hockeyroos and Kookaburras are hockey heroes, dominating The World Cup, Olympics and Commonwealth Games for decades.
Australia had a great run at the 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games so far with the Kookaburras winning gold and the Hockeyroos capturing silver.
Way to go guys!
We look forward to an exciting partnership!
Bloomex Australia is super excited to be part of the 2018 Stars of the Beaches: Dance for Cancer fundraising gala and dance-off hosted by Cancer Council Australia (CCA)! The event inspires community leaders and business owners to get involved, raising money for CCA and a cause that touches everyone at some point in their lives. The gala will be held at Miramare Gardens on Saturday, April 14 from 6:30- 11:30 pm. and will boast great food, raffles, auctions and of course, lots of entertainment!
Contestants train vigorously for eight weeks, learning stunning choreography from pros at two of Australia’s premiere dance schools Arthur Murray Dance Centres and Tempo Red Academy. They will twirl, twist and pirouette their way to victory!
As an official community supporter, Bloomex is proud to be providing stunning bouquets for all the winners! Of course, everyone’s a winner at this event because the money raised goes to help fund cancer research, prevention programs, advocacy groups and support services for those affected by cancer.
The competitors have already raised an impressive $14,997… Amazing!
Cancer Council AU believes that we can and will beat cancer. Cancer doesn’t sleep, so either do they! Their team works around the clock to make sure individuals and families get all the support they need as they fight their battles.
Don’t miss out on this great event and the chance to make a difference in peoples lives! Buy your tickets here.